体育外围网 COVID-19 protocols
With the start of spring semester upon us, 体育外围网 is expecting a significant COVID surge due to the Omicron variant.
COVID transmission only stops when we recognize our own personal responsibility. While I am not reinstating mandatory mitigation measures, I am asking that all faculty and staff consider ways to protect each other. Some of those ways include:
• Wearing a mask when you leave your office or when you will be in close proximity to others,
• If you are planning to attend a meeting that will last more than a couple of minutes, consider using Teams instead,
• Be sure to practice proper hand hygiene,
• Use your office and classroom air purifier, and
• Be sure to follow the protocol if you have symptoms or are identified as close contact.
I am proud of the way we have handled COVID during the past 22 months. We have prioritized testing and incentivized vaccination. Voluntarily stepping up your prevention efforts to help get us through this semester would be most appreciated. Please do your part to stay healthy and help protect others.
President Doug Darling
Lake Region State College welcomes faculty, staff, and students back to campus for spring semester.
Many of the tools our community used to mitigate the spread of COVID last academic year are no longer available. A statewide mask mandate is no longer possible due to a change in the law and a new declaration of emergency from the Governor or an order from the County Health Officer would be necessary to require positive people to isolate and to require close contacts to quarantine. In addition, we can no longer take time off to quarantine or isolate without using annual or sick leave.
While these community-wide efforts are not in play, there are things individuals can do that can maximize their own personal safety. Lake Region State College intends to empower faculty and staff by giving them the flexibility and authority to require mask-wearing in their work area, office, and classroom, while allowing faculty, staff, students, and visitors the ability to mask optional in areas open to the public.
For the safety of faculty, staff, students, and visitors, the following restart protocol. Failure to adhere to the requirements of this restart protocol will constitute a violation of the 体育外围网 Code of Conduct (1500.05) and/or the 体育外围网 Student Code of Conduct (800.30).
Section One: Lowering the Risk of Transmission: Mask Wearing and Physical Distancing
Students, faculty, staff, and visitors to Lake Region State College can greatly enhance our ability to offer a safer campus living and learning environment by making decisions that help the collective health of our entire community. Observing the distancing objective and wearing a face-covering in the presence of others can slow the spread of COVID significantly and will allow Lake Region State College to keep more courses, programs, and services open and available to students. To achieve our goal of creating a healthy and safe environment, the following shall be required:
- When indoors, faculty, staff, students, and visitors shall choose whether or not they want to wear a mask. This includes when walking in hallways, when in common areas open to the public, when riding in vehicles, in the Learning Commons, in the New Horizons Computer Lab, and when seated in the dining room and student union.
- It is possible that students will be required to wear a mask in some classrooms but not in others. Masks must be worn in the classroom, science labs, CTE labs, and shops (i.e. auto, ag, wind) when the instructor has included mask-wearing as a requirement in the course syllabus. Instructors must notify the Chief Academic Officer of the course name and number for any course where mask-wearing will be required as a condition of attendance. Instructors may re-evaluate their decision to require masks or not require masks, at the semester midterm if the instructor includes such a provision in the course syllabus.
- Masks must be worn in meeting rooms when the organizer and/or supervising administrator requires masks to be worn.
- Masks will be worn at workstations and in offices at the discretion of the faculty or staff who works there. Look for the “mask up” sign on office doors, cubicles, and plexiglass fronted workstations; if you see the sign, please respect that employee’s decision to require mask-wearing during your conversation.
- Masks will be optional in the dining services area and snack bar.
- Masks are not required while practicing and/or competing in sports, while playing a musical instrument, when performing in a theater production, or participating in another activity unless the supervising administrator (theater director, athletic director, etc.) makes mask wearing a requirement.
- Mask wearing is required inside the 体育外围网 Nursing Center. This includes hallways and classrooms and is applicable to students, staff, faculty, and visitors. Mask wearing is not required if a person is alone in a classroom or office.
II. Physical Distancing
- Faculty should make every effort to ensure compliance with physical distancing as a best practice by spacing desks and chairs as far apart as is practical, making disinfectant wipes available to use on desks prior to being seated, and making hand sanitizer available as students arrive for class.
- When the physical distancing objective can’t be met due to the number of enrolled students and classroom size, faculty should explore other options like rotated attendance, student scheduling adjustments, requesting relocation to a larger classroom or meeting room, and/or using technology to allow students to attend remotely.
- Because wearing a mask and utilizing physical distancing is helpful but does not provide complete protection from transmission:
- Faculty and staff should try to use other forms of communication whenever it is practical to do so. Other forms include utilizing the telephone to hold conference calls, using technology such as Teams, and using instant messaging or email. Faculty and staff may decline an invitation to attend an in-person meeting and request the organizer to allow for remote attendance.
- Faculty and staff may continue to eat in their office.
- During more impromptu encounters and when two or more people need to see the same information, faculty and staff should utilize a wall monitor, screen sharing, and/or printed copies. Do not huddle closely around the same computer screen.
- Meeting organizers should evaluate the number of participants, the size of the room, and the ability to see a presentation and hear the speaker in a socially distanced manner as relevant considerations.
- Staff who interact with others often should maximize the use of the wellness barrier. The wellness barrier allows for a face-to-face conversation while providing physical separation with clear Plexiglas.
Section Two: Testing, Tracking and Campus Restrictions
The 体育外围网 Human Resources Director is designated as our official point of contact with the ND Department of Health. Faculty, staff, and students are expected to immediately notify the HR Director if they are positive for COVID, if they are symptomatic, or if they have a household member or roommate who is positive for COVID.
I. Testing: Lake Region State College will help coordinate with the ND Department of Health so that testing is made available to our campus as often as is practical. General information about the number of positive cases known at 体育外围网 will be posted each school day on the 体育外围网 COVID Safe information page. 体育外围网 will adhere to all confidentiality requirements that apply to faculty, staff, and students. Only that information that can be released will be released. The following preventative testing will be required:
- Due to the close contact nature of play, practice, and travel, all athletic team members (including players, coaches, and student managers) must undergo on-campus COVID testing each week, within 48 hours of each contest, and as directed by the Athletic Director. Members of the athletic team that are up-to-date* on their COVID vaccine may opt-out of testing if they attest to having zero symptoms consistent with COVID.
- Nursing students must test as directed by the 体育外围网 Director of Nursing.
- Wind Energy students must test as directed by the 体育外围网 Wind Energy Program Director. Wind Energy students that are up-to-date* on their COVID vaccine may opt-out of testing if they attest to having zero symptoms consistent with COVID.
- Faculty, staff, and students who have COVID-related symptoms or who are determined to be a close contact to another faculty, staff, or student must go on-campus restrictions and have two consecutive day rapid tests (showing negative) or one negative PCR test. Those that are up-to-date* on their COVID vaccine may opt-out of testing if they attest to having zero symptoms consistent with COVID.
II: Contact Tracing and COVID Tracking: Lake Region State College faculty, staff, and students shall cooperate with public health officials (or their designee) and the 体育外围网 HR Director in any contact tracing effort to help identify persons who may be at risk.
III. Campus Restrictions: 体育外围网 will impose campus restrictions on faculty, staff, and students, under the following conditions:
- If the employee or student tests positive.
- If the employee or student is a close contact of a household member or roommate that has tested positive.
- If the employee or student is in close contact with a person who has tested positive, and the employee or student is not up-to-date* on their COVID vaccine.
- If the employee has symptoms consistent with COVID and is awaiting test results.
- If the employee or student is in close contact with a household member who is symptomatic and is awaiting test results.
Students and employees who test positive will undergo campus restrictions for five days from the start of symptoms or from the date of their positive test if asymptomatic. On day six, the person may be released from campus restrictions if the person is asymptomatic, or if symptoms are improving and the individual has been fever free without medication for 24 hours. This early release period must be followed by five days of wearing a well-fitting mask while around others. If symptoms are not improving or a fever is still present, the person must continue to isolate until they are fever free and have improved symptoms for 24 hours before they are released from campus restrictions.
Students and employees who are a close contact of a household member or roommate of a positive person (regardless of vaccination status) will undergo campus restrictions for five days (which starts after they separate from the positive person). If they produce a negative COVID test result taken no earlier than day five they will be released on day six. This early release period must be followed by five days of wearing a well-fitting mask while around others. If the close contact chooses not to test, they will be restricted for 10 days.
Students and employees who are a close contact of a positive person (not a household member or roommate) and the employee or student is not up-to-date* on their COVID vaccine, they will undergo campus restrictions for five days (which starts after the last day of contact with the positive person). If they produce a negative COVID test result taken no earlier than day five they will be released on day six. This early release period must be followed by five days of wearing a well-fitting mask while around others. If the close contact chooses not to test, they will be restricted for 10 days.
Students and employees who are a close contact of a positive person and the employee or student is up-to-date* on their COVID vaccine will NOT be subject to campus restrictions. They must wear a well-fitting mask for 10 days from last point of contact while around others and test on day five.
Students and employees awaiting COVID test results for themselves or household members who are symptomatic will be restricted from campus until the results are received.
Employees and students living off-campus will be subject to the same campus restrictions as those working and living on campus. Should work or school materials be needed, permission to be on campus (temporarily) may be coordinated with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
*You are up-to-date on your COVID-19 vaccine if you have been boosted OR you have completed the primary series (both doses) of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine within the last 6 months or you have completed the primary series (single dose) of the J&J vaccine within the last 2 months.
Individuals that have tested positive for COVID will be considered exempt from campus restrictions for 90 days from the start of isolation from a previous positive test.
Faculty and staff shall use sick leave or annual leave unless they can work/teach from home and are approved by their supervisor to work/teach from home.
Students living on campus, under campus restrictions, will be prohibited from leaving the assigned residence hall room until their restriction period is over. Should a student under campus restrictions who is living in the residence halls choose to leave campus, the student must wear a mask and leave/re-enter using the door to the parking lot that is nearest their room.
Students will be provided with the option to attend class using technology when such an option is available or must make other arrangements as agreed upon with their instructor.
Section Three: Travel and Off-Campus Requirements
- Lake Region State College faculty and staff shall attend out-of-town training and meetings using technology whenever it is possible to do so.
- International travel is suspended, and no approval guidelines or process will be created until permission is possible.
- While out-of-state travel requires the approval of the President, the travel request should be submitted through the appropriate Vice President.
- In-state travel requires approval from the appropriate Vice President.
- Students, faculty, and staff who work/learn at a location other than the main campus in Devils Lake must adhere to the more restrictive mask-wearing and physical distancing requirements of the work location. For example, if Mayville State University has a more restrictive requirement than 体育外围网, a student or faculty member there must comply with MaSU’s requirement. If 体育外围网’s requirement is more restrictive, then the 体育外围网 requirement must be met.
Section Four: Protocol Updates, Related Information, and Signage
Updates and changes in protocol will likely occur on a very regular basis. Emails will be sent out alerting the campus to this new information and to consult the COVID Safe information page of our website for detailed information. The Director of Community Relations will ensure campus signs and other informational displays are up to date with information regarding social distancing, face-covering requirements, cleaning and hygiene techniques, and other related COVID safe reminders.
Section Five: Sanitizing Work Areas
The Physical Plant Director will make sure each classroom, office area, and meeting room has easy access to cleaning supplies, disinfectant wipes, and hand sanitizer. Faculty and Staff must help take responsibility for keeping their work and teaching environment clean and disinfected. Custodial staff will clean and disinfect classrooms, meeting rooms, hallways, and common areas at least daily but will need help from all employees in keeping work areas and classrooms clean and disinfected during the school day.